Further to our post in March 2020;
Campbeltown Cross was carved on Iona circa 1380 and was originally sited at Kilkivan Chapel, near Machrihanish before being moved to Campbeltown. The Conservators will remove lichen and algae, repair cracks and delamination, clean bronze plaques, make good previous repairs, coat the Cross with an accepted biocide to deter future algae/ lichen growth.
In addition the sandstone steps will be repaired and cleaned, the railings will be shot-blasted, galvanised and painted, a new interpretation board will be installed, new benches, flower barrels and litter bins will be provided.
In short we have the responsibility of restoring the historic Cross for future generations and to improve its environs for the townspeople and visitors.