CAMPBELTOWN COMMUNITY COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING on TUESDAY 14th February, 2023
in Campbeltown Town Hall
A Martin, Vice Chairperson, welcomed everyone to the meeting.
A Martin CCC
C Dobbie CCC
K Gillies CCC
A Gallacher CCC
D Allen CCC
A Baker CCC
J Martin CCC
I Mitchell CCC
Cllr D Kelly Argyll and Bute Council
A Campbell Chair, Ferries Community Board
V Nimmo,V MacBrayne, E Glendinning, J Biggins
DECLARATION OF INTEREST
- MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
Minutes of the meeting on 13th December, 2022 were agreed as accurate. A Baker proposed and A Gallacher seconded.
- MATTERS ARISING
None not on agenda
- MEMBER OF PUBLIC
L McArthur read out notice posted on Facebook re scheduled restriction of parking on Dell Rd from 20Feb – 30Apr due to flood prevention works. No letters were sent to residents informing them of this and he asked where the 32 cars belonging to residents could park for this period. Burnside Square is also closed, the Heritage Centre has notified them that their car park is private and Glebe St has no parking capacity. He asked for support and it was agreed that CCC would write to J Smith, Argyll and Bute Council to ask why the residents were not properly informed and what contingency plan there was for residents parking for this 6 week period.
A Campbell, Chair of the Ferries Community Board spoke about the role of the Board which has 15 members from a wide geographic area served by CALMAC ferries. He is collecting the views of the communities the ferries serve and had already met pupils from CGS and members of the local Ferry Committee earlier in the day.
He explained the different roles of CALMAC, CMAL and Transport Scotland and the following points were put forward:
- DA, an experienced CALMAC skipper said the ageing fleet of ships was the biggest problem with the crews passing on maintenance and servicing problems only for Transport Scotland to decide whether or not the necessary works will go ahead. Much of this is ignored leading to further problems and breakdowns. At present there are 4 major vessels out of service and no ferry bookings are being taken beyond 1st March.
- Transport Scotland increase the number of timetabled sailings giving crews less time to carry out maintenance.
- JM – the cost of new ships is much higher than non CALMAC ferries due to crew accommodation which is not necessary for many routes – would be better to have cheaper ships and shore based crews where possible.
- KG – crews’ rotas are poorly managed.
- Cllr D Kelly – informed Angus of the petition he raised in 2021 to provide a year round ferry service from Campbeltown especially given the problems with the closures of the A83 at the Rest and Be Thankful. This was put forward to the Parliamentary Petitions Committee, an evaluation was promised but never carried out. Cllr Kelly agreed to send the link for this to A Campbell.
- CALMAC, CMAL, Transport Scotland – structure too confusing – needs streamlined?
- A Graham informed the members that a new terminal is being built at Troon Harbour which will improve freight transport.
Angus was thanked for his attendance and information and the period of consultation ends on 31st March.
- POLICE SCOTLAND REPORT
Once again a generic report was received by email for the MAKI area and it was agreed that this is unsatisfactory. (Apologies were received from Sergeant Watson, who had been called to an incident)
- COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
Cllr Kelly gave following report.
- Argyll and Bute Council’s budget will be decided on 23rd February. Savings of £6.4 million have to be found, an increase in Council Tax between 3-5% expected. Shortfall could come from other sources:
Increase from Scottish Government
Digging into reserves – currently £8 million
Sale of some artefacts
- Local projects – new distilleries, golf course, seasports centre all progressing. MOWI at Machrihanish possibly extending, Argyll College at MACC base to work with local businesses to offer apprenticeships.
Raised with Cllr Kelly
- Local dental provision – dentists are paid for the work they carry out, not the number of patients. Trying to attract dentist(s) offering an attractive package but no one recruited yet
- Hospital beds –KG informed the CCC that patients cannot always be sent to local hospital from QEU to recuperate because of a severe nursing crisis. Agency staff are being used to fill the gaps and there was a COVID outbreak in January.
- Burnett Building –AG – proposed budget cut to close building to walk ins from the public who will have to make appointments. The footfall for the Customer Service Point is back up to pre COVID levels and this service is vital for those needing help and support, particularly those who do not have internet access. Agreed CCC to write to oppose this proposal.
- Kilkerran Cemetery – AG showed a photo taken today of rubbish at the cemetery. To be taken up with cemetery staff. Report is due to the Area Committee in March re provision of new cemetery.
- Cruise Ships – A Baker – Campbeltown not attracting visits by smaller cruise ships esp to distillery visits.
- TREASURER’S REPORT
£11,714.35 in main account (£5,000 received from CCWF for Slatery Farm foot/cyclepath)
£510.00 in Quesada account.
£49,937.19 in CCWF account.
AM read V Nimmo’s note in her absence re string of emails initiated by her to J Smith and subsequently picked up by IM. She requested that letters, on behalf of the CC, should be circulated to her and others before being sent. This was agreed.
- ACTION PLAN UPDATES
- Winter Gathering was held last week in the SKDT Hall, organised by Chiara Fingland. Approx 25 people attended and a number of stalls gave useful information.
- Crown Estate Funding – CD received email yesterday from J Lafferty to say that the £50,000 set aside to further actions must be spent asap and, at the latest, March 2024. This will need to be agreed with SKDT and Inspiralba and it was agreed that we look at 2 possible improvements: enhancing Burnside Square (need to find out the Council’s plans) and/or refurbish Bolgam St toilets.
Coronation – VN suggested concert or afternoon tea. V MacBrayne emailed to suggest lunch/street party who could hopefully take this forward.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING TUESDAY, 14th MARCH AT 7:30PM IN TOWN HALL